Video: At The Cross – Fingerstyle Guitar

Dan posted this on Nov-24-2011 Print This Post Print This Post

I am currently working on producing instructional videos for Christian finger style guitar players. The equipment still isn’t up to what I want to accomplish, and I’m trying to get a makeshift recording studio setup in my apartment.

This is one of my practice sessions getting ready for when I can finally push these live!

Let me know in the comments, if there is a particular song you’d like to see arranged for the guitar.

7 Responses so far.

1. Frank Broughton says:

I like that mic Dan!

2. Dan says:

Thanks Frank!

There is actually a little bit of the camera microphone mixed into the recording as well just to add a bit of natural room reverb.

I’m waiting on some equipment so I can add the internal guitar microphone into the mix as well. All mono though 😐

3. Dan, I really enjoy using your website. I’m a beginning guitar player and I use your chords often for various hymns to play for chapel services. Great plan to make instructional videos, I’ll be looking forward to watching them.
    Thanks again,
    Beau

4. Laura Geiges says:

This is exactly the type of playing I want to do. I am a cellist, and am teaching myself guitar for no reason that I can fathom. Hymns are all I want to play on the guitar, and chords are all I know. How many decades of grueling practice does it take to play finger style?

5. Dan says:

Laura,

I’ve only been playing for roughly 6 years. I started for roughly the same reasons :)

Learning chords is the basis to strong fingerstyle playing. You build finger strength, but you also learn the patterns on the fretboard that you’ll build on when you start fingerstyle playing.

I really took off when I received this book for christmas one year http://www.amazon.com/Favorite-Hymns-Solo-Guitar-Fingerstyle/dp/0634027980/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326252902&sr=8-1 (not getting paid to recommend it!)

My first song was come thou fount out of that book and that’s how I broke that wall.

6. Mike Weage says:

Hi there, I’m a fingerstyle and Flatpicking guitarist who’s been playing for about 3 years now.
    I would really like some tabs for your gospel songs. Anyway you can tab some of these for me?

7. bruce says:

Hi Dan (:

I have been searching the internet endlessly trying to find finger style guitar tab for this song you play here entitled: “at the cross where i first saw the light”. I love this song but cannot find the finger style guitar tab anywhere!

Please brother, send me this tab in my email, or post it here, or tell me where i can buy it. Thank you.